Sharing is caring!

Mindfulness, self-care, holistic wellness, clean eating, whole foods, conscious living – in today’s age, we’re constantly reminded that slowing down and taking care of yourself isn’t an option anymore. Self-care nowadays a responsibility. We’re juggling multiple projects, side gigs, social commitments, after-work events, travel plans and being here, there, everywhere!

5 Tips For Staying Healthy On The Road

Ever stop to think about what that can do to your mind and body?

Well, let’s be real: our lifestyles are often the root cause of our stress levels but it doesn’t have to be this way. Especially when you’re on the road, and if you’re anything like me – travelling is a non-negotiable and a must-have in life!

We were recently invited to attend the Wellness from Within Breakfast on behalf of TRU NIAGEN where wellness leader, Eva Redpath, shared the 5 principles of wellness – mindset, movement, nutrition, regeneration, and supplementation.

Relating to each of these areas as equally important principles of staying well and healthy on the road. Here’s how we’ve broken it down for you with 5 tips for staying healthy on the road.

Mind your Mind

As a yoga teacher and lover of all things yoga, I can’t stress enough how important it is to take the time to still your mind on a daily basis. When we don’t take some time out of our days to slow down, our mind may start playing tricks on us. If you’re a frequent flyer, use some of your flying time to close your eyes and just focus on your breathing. The key is to become an observer of your body, noticing any sensations or any stressors that come up without being attached. Notice, observe, practice non-attachment and don’t judge. Just observe. As a daily practice, before you even get out of bed, take 5-10 minutes to meditate upright in a seated position before you hit the ground running.

5 Tips For Staying Healthy On The Road

Stretch and Grow

Finding a form of exercise to stretch and tone your muscles is key. Yoga can offer both and can easily be done anywhere you can lay out your mat. Use your hotel room floor or find a park nearby and practice movement. There are thousands of yoga postures in yoga and the basics can easily be re-created anywhere you’d like. In fact, you don’t event need a mat – in flight, I’ve seen yogis stretch their legs straight up in the air from their seats. Hey, stretching during a flight is equally as important! Find some time to stretch and flow through a sequence while you’re travelling to keep your body mobile and ready for your adventures.

5 Tips For Staying Healthy On The Road

You Are What You Eat

If you woke up every morning remembering that you are what you eat, would you really reach for that hot dog? I love a good hot dog every once in a while but try to follow the 80/20 rule – choose to eat clean for 80% of the time and indulge for the other 20%. If I’m travelling for business, I’ll opt for healthy options from Monday – Friday and indulge on weekends. If I’m on vacation, well I’m probably indulging 100% of the time and that’s okay because vacation days are limited either way.

5 Tips For Staying Healthy On The Road

Plan Free Days

Regeneration means having the time to rest and recharge your batteries. Of course, when you’re travelling, your schedule is likely packed, you’re running from destination A – Z and trying to check-off everything you’ve included on your epic bucket list. In between the rush, it’s important to find time to have days that are unplanned. Without a day or two of sleep-in time or time without a strict schedule, you don’t give yourself the opportunity to recharge or get lost and explore. Take some time to rest, check out some spas, get bored, then go on an adventure without knowing where your destination is. Enjoy the surprise!

Fuel Your Cells

With all great travels to far-off lands comes jet lag (sigh). TRU NIAGEN just launched in Canada and is considered a breakthrough supplement to help your cells stay energized, meaning you do too! Alongside mindful practices, healthy eating and incorporating movement into your day, taking supplements is also as crucial if you can’t access regular nutrition through your meals – especially when on the road. Having the basics on-hand to boost your immunity and optimize your health can help.

Consider packing vitamin C, zinc and echinacea, plus some propolis throat spray to help prevent those nasty colds we all seem to get after a flight.

Save this post for later – Pin It

Like this post then read the following: